Thursday, May 13, 2010

Getting my mojo back

Well, I've been unemployed for a week and a half now, and I'm starting to get over the blind terror & dread that's been chasing me since I resigned. I've put in a bunch of job applications, and am now heartily sick of writing cover letters. On the plus side, though, I'm starting to get my creativity back.

It's been a while since I felt like making anything; clothes, photos, art, you name it. Even the pictures I made while I was away are mainly holiday snaps; while I started to feel the stirrings of interest while I was away, for my usual fascination with airports, and a series on coffee-shop life in Malaysia, it was nearly the end of the trip before I had an idea in my mind other than 'it will be nice to have a picture of this'.

Kopitiam, Penang
Traditional coffee shops in Malaysia are little mini-food courts called Kopitiams, full of strong, sweet coffee and tasty foods - and people. They fascinate me!


Now I'm home, though, and not stressed and overwhelmed and curmudgeonly from a combination of work and uni, the creative juices are stirring (I almost said dripping), and I'm having ideas of images I want to make, and things I want to show. I'll be taking my gear to uni tonight, so I can make some night images on the way home - I'm thinking about pinhole photos of King St, and some pictures of those comfortably Victorian terraces made strange by night.

I'm also thinking about finishing off the latest chocolate bunny sequence - I'm partly there, but am now wanting to pull out the hairdryer to melt the bunnies into strange communions.

Melting Moments 2
I'm starting to think again about melting bunnies...


I'm very glad - it's always a hit to my self-esteem when I can't create something (and my self-esteem isn't the steadiest to start with, which doesn't help). So it's nice to feel the fingers twitching and the mind tossing around ideas, and even nicer to feel like I might have something to say.

So stay tuned!

No comments: