Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pinholing

Pinhole-4

I have a new toy! I'm starting on my next project, which will actually be a collaboration with a friend, and there's a specific look I want for the images.

So last night I ask M to poke a hole in a body cap for my digital camera, and I made a pinhole out of aluminium, then made an improvised 'lens' with the body cap, the holey aluminium, and some clear plastic to stop dust sneaking in onto my sensor.

Today I wandered into the cemetery and played with it, and I think I'm in love. Such soft, mysterious images! Gentle and indistinct, but still warm, somehow. I'm going to enjoy this.

Pinhole-2

There's still a bit of work to be done. I think I may have misaligned the pinhole and the body cap, or else the aluminium isn't sitting flat, as there's a grey haze on the right hand side of the pictures. And while the pinhole won't be letting any more dust into the camera, the images sadly showed me just how much dust is already there.

So once my foot stops calling about how sore it is, I'll pull the pinhole body cap apart and re-make it, and I'll have a go at cleaning the worst of the dust off my sensor, then set a dust-delete in the camera software.

For the moment, though, I'm going to enjoy the images, and look forward to going and making new ones tomorrow.

Pinhole-3

No comments: