Friday, January 22, 2010

Dogtography

Zack & PJ - action heroes
Zack & PJ - action heroes

Just before Christmas, Mark the Chocolatier asked me to photograph his two dogs. I hadn't done much pet photography before, but Mark wasn't bothered by that (nor by my many disclaimers about my lack of experience). So one evening, we headed down to the local dogpark to play with balls, sticks, other dogs, and my camera.

And much to my surprise, the images came out really well.

Fetch
Fetch!

The light levels fell off quite quickly, and I was very glad that I brought my flash. I haven't done all that much flash photography before, but I quickly worked out how to difuse the flash to have the images looking as natural as possible. I've got a way to go before I'm satisfied with my skills, but it's definitely a good start.

PJ and bulldog
PJ and bulldog

I've discovered that I like animal photography - and dogs - quite a lot. The lack of pressure helps, of course, since everyone was just having fun, while I hung around with a camera. Dog parks, at least in the Inner West, are friendly, laid back places, with indulgent owners watching their dogs sniff each others' butts and tear around like happy mad things. If I'd brought some business cards, I suspect I may have had a few more photo sessions lined up - I may still go back and do that.

Zack lifts a leg
Zack lifts a leg

Of course, it really helps the images that both Zack and PJ are very photogenic, and lovely dogs. I would have posted some of these earlier, but they were a Christmas present for someone who reads this blog occasionally, so I didn't want to spoil the surprise.

If you'd like to see more images of puppy fun, click on any of the photos, or click here to be taken to the gallery.


Zack, contented
Zack, contented

And of course, if you want some Dogtography of your own, comment or email me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous photos. And if you come over to Perth again, we would definitely like some dog photos.