Saturday, July 12, 2008

Church 9

Church 9

Scots Presbyterian Church, with cafe and apartments.

There've been shops, and this little cafe, under and around the church for as long as I can remember, but a few years ago, they added some units as well. I remember being outraged about it, but while I was wandering around taking this photo, I reconsidered.

The church still exists, and they've done a great job in preserving the building, from what I can see. There's more housing, and a better use of space, and more local community for the churches to draw from. Mind you, they also threw out at least one naturopathic clinic for being too 'pagan', so it isn't all smiles and roses.

It amused me; possibly unworthily, how much use the cafe gets, when I seldom see anyone entering the church. Is coffee a Sydneysider's deity of choice?

No comments: