Monday, January 3, 2011

Wanted: Advice and minions

I'm slowly wading through the images from the recent trip - expect a post on Dubai soon. In the meantime though, I could use some suggestions.

I've been wanting to do some more of the long-exposure night photos and pinhole photos that i love so dearly, but sadly, my pain levels are currently kicking my butt. Chocolate Mark and I went out on Saturday to spend some time in the cemetery making pinhole images. We managed about 30 minutes before my camera battery died, but even spending as much time as possible sitting down, I'm still paying for the time on my feet two days later. It's very discouraging.

Pinhole afternoon, St Stephen's cemetery
I love making pinhole images, but the long exposures are proving too hard on my feet

So I've been thinking about what I can do to make excursions for long exposure photos easier on myself, with a bit of input from M. Today, we bought the latest in high tech mobility equipment - a folding camp stool. I'll carabeena clip it to my camera bag - hopefully it won't be too unwieldy.

High tech mobility aid
Hopefully the shiny new camp stool makes longer exposures less painful

I'm also buying myself a wireless remote trigger for my camera. I currently have a cable release, but I still have to stand up to turn it on or off. I'm hoping that having a glorified TV remote for the camera will make things slightly easier.

Other than that, the only other idea I can come up with is to find a volunteer or two to come on night ambles and carry some of the gear for me, so I don't have to pack everything down each time I want to move locations. Is anyone interested in some slow night-time rambling around the Inner West?

And does anyone have any other suggestions for easing the strain of slow photography on my feet?

No comments: